This past week the action by the Michigan ACLU regarding the Paw Paw school mascot merchandise and their request to Walmart to not sell the merchandise with the R****s team mascot of the local high school Now it is time to send some support and here is my outline for doing this, quickly, easily and legitimately. Silence endorses and approves and Walmart is likely to take silence from all communities as approval of their current approach in selling all team merchandise, including that of the pro teams.
1. Take Action. Talk about this AND let Walmart know you want them to B Good
2. Contact Company directly, phone, written letter or email, details in order below, then share with everyone and ask them to do the same. Here is contact information and suggested message. Feel free to edit for yourself and make your own on your messages but being polite and direct has been the most effective approach for me:
a. Phone call, and please remember there is no guarantee the call will be counted or accurately noted but if enough calls come in the company should take note. Be polite and direct, say you support the removal of Native American mascots on team merchandise.
1-800-WALMART or 1-800-479-273-6463
b. Sample letter and mailing address corporate headquarters, and Mr. Mike Drake, CEO and President:
Dear Mr. Drake,
I ask you and Walmart to take action today to honor the ethics statement on the Walmart website, from founder Sam Walton: Personal and moral integrity is one of our basic fundamentals and it has to start with each one of us. I want Walmart and you to stop selling, teaching and promoting racism through race-based stereotypes in your merchandise, especially in sports team identities depicting stereotypes of Native Americans no matter who the teams are or where they play, from local high schools to the professional teams, of any and all sports. I support the Michigan ACLU call to remove offensive merchandise and educate the community through real world action. I am a Walmart customer and I find this merchandise inappropriate, offensive and morally wrong.
(sign your name here)
Mailing address for envelope:
Mr. Mike Drake, CEO and President
702 S.W. 8th Street
Bentonville, AK 72716
c. Email Walmart using link below for their website and follow these guidelines for submission:
1. Select a topic and I suggest either Company Feedback or Product Question, scroll to “next” button near bottom of page
2. Comment: It is Time for Walmart to stop promoting racism by selling any merchandise with race-based stereotypes even if it is a local school or professional sports’ team. I support the ACLU action in Paw Paw, Michigan
3. Add your contact information and click next
4. Choose whatever store you generally shop in and then click submit near the bottom of the page
Here is the page to Walmart Corporate Offices
Stereotypes teach racism. Stereotypes are always wrong. Stop teaching racism AND stereotypes.